[P1] How Often Does Jag need a reinstall?

Johannes Hoffmann tscho at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 01:24:35 PST 2003

>>I'm using my month old iBook just as it came to me without a partitioned drive, but am warned that it is dangerous to do that since X has reputedly required a reinstall frequently.

I had two (re)installs since I use X (November 2001):
- about a year ago when I fiddled around with some system stuff without really knowing what I did (so I would say. my fault)
- last August when I got my knew machine and I wanted to partition my drive.

Why Partitions?
My reasons are:
- I do some beta testing
- In busy times, I can't waste my time in trouble shooting
- I feel it is more convenient for backup and hard disc recording
(- on my old machine: dual booting at startup)

Therefore I have two OS X System partitions (on different physical drives). If my main System get screwed I just boot into the other system and I am back to work (I normally do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup with each System update - so if there are troubles with the update for some reason, I can switch back with one reboot).
My apps and my data have their own partition and the data backup as well.
I have two more partitions:
archive, where all the downloads and installer go and audio, where I do my recording work

But most of this may only apply to my situation (or to my way of organizing stuff) - I think most users are fine with the standard.

John.

--
Johannes Hoffmann
tscho at mac.com