Permissions weirdness

Brett Forrester bforrester at macconnect.com
Sat Jan 25 23:47:33 PST 2003

On 1/22/2003, Jay Boshara <jboshara at mchsi.com> wrote:
>A week ago I repaired the permissions (using Disk Utility) on my clamshell
>366 iBook SE which runs OS 10.2.3 with 320 MB of RAM.  I tried repairing
>permissions again the other day and it seemed to repair the very same ones
>that it repaired the first time.  I had other problems too, so yesterday I
>reinitialized my hard drive, clean installed Jaguar, updated it to 10.2.3,
>installed all my software, repaired permissions, then ran an fsck (which
>came out clean), and my computer was running smoothly again.  I just
>repaired permissions again, and it seemed to repair the very same
>permissions AGAIN!  What the hell is going on here?  Why don't permissions
>repairs stick?

Jay,

Which Disk Utility are you using to repair permissions? It is
important, apparently, to always use the most updated Disk Utility,
likely the one _on your hard drive updated to OS X 10.2.3_, to repair
permissions (this can be done on the boot drive) as these have
changed from when the Jaguar Install CD's Disk Utility came out (OS X
10.2). For more related information that may help you, check out
Randy Singer's _How To Deal With Common Macintosh OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Problems_ web page <http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html>.

Good luck,
Brett
======
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative
on the same night.
- Dave Barry
======
bforrester at macconnect.com