[P1] OT: User Interface (was Fix_prebinding is crashing on start)

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Jan 26 12:40:23 PST 2003

Allan Hise wrote the following:

> A single character makes a difference in ANY OS, Unix or otherwise, since
> computers don't know how to second guess you.

Feeling philosophical...

Sorry but this just begs to ask why? Why must we continue to learn the way
to interact with a computer instead of the other way around? I would like to
think this is one of the reasons that we all have chosen this wonderful
platform in the first place, no? (I realize this is hypocritical of me but
why can we not have a really powerful system *and* have a intuitive
interface?)

> Example: In the finder, search for all of your MP3 files by typing MP2

Wow, what kind of compression do you get with this format?

> into the search field. How many do you find?

They must be really small my system doesn't register them...but maybe I
forgot a character?

> Heck, it's only one character
> that's different! That's crazy! OS X is the most powerful OS on the
> planet. It should have worked!

Agreed!

Seriously though...

why in this day and age can a computer only have two states 1 or 0?
why are we still basing most of our energy programming with hexadecimal 8
bit concepts that were hardware induced in the beginning?
why can we not make another few levels of translators for the human
interface to machine code, I mean really! there are 7 layers to tcp/ip and
with a program?

;^)

Thanks I feel much better now...

Richard