[P1] OS X on a PC? [forward from a different list]

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 26 15:37:22 PST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 03:30  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> When thinking about the idea of OS X on Intel-compatible hardware, one
> has to remember something very fundamental. Even if Apple *did* have a
> complete version of OS X running in Intel-compatible hardware, *every*
> program for it would have to be *extensively* re-written to run on the
> new chip.

Apple handled rewrites when moving to PPC from 68K. Almost ALL software
ran smoothly on the new OS. True, it was on a similar chip but it does
leave one wondering why Apple couldn't handle the differences in
software and eliminate the rewrite. The key word in my post is
'wondering'.

There is, unless I was just dreaming, a piece of software for Intel
cpus that runs some Applestyle software, just as Virtual PC runs
windows apps.

I'm amazed that Apple has only ported over AppleWorks, Quicktime and
Filemaker (others?). And why Apple has produced so little software to
sell with its market size. Oh, I wander...

---
Lobate Black Scale -- A Photo Essay By Jack Rodgers
http://www.jackrodgers.com