[P1] hot spots in the U.S.

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 28 09:42:33 PST 2003

On 1/27/03 10:30 PM, "Pat D. Stephens" <patdart at cox-internet.com> wrote:

> What, pray tell is a 'hot spot'?  Can I utilize it with my old Airport?

All over the country people are setting up wireless networks in their homes
and offices. And of course the signal leaks out beyond their walls. So if
they haven't password protected their network, and you're in range with your
airport equipped notebook, you can jump right on.

Whenever I go anywhere with my iBook, and I want to get on the Net, I always
check first for a stray wireless connection, because they're all over the
place. There's even one leaking into the far side of my house from one of my
neighbors. In face, in that room, which is pretty far from my ABS, his (her)
signal is actually stronger than mine.

While we're on the subject, there's also a name brand hot spot: T-Mobile.
They have their T-Mobile Hotspots in Starbucks and other public places all
over the U.S., and for a small subscription price, you stop in, log on, and
take advantage of a very fast connection. In fact, I've even been able to
pull up, park in front of a Starbucks, and log on for a quick email check
without even getting out of the car.

If I remember correctly, I paid $20 for 100 minutes, usable in 10 minute
minimums.

You can find out more at:  http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/

Brian