Spaminator (was: anyone know any good call by call dialup ISPs in California?)

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Jan 28 17:00:12 PST 2003

> From: Harry D.  Corsover <harry at corsazzi.com>
> I use email for business. So, if Spaminator _ever_ filtered out an
> important email, it could cost me money and business relationships. So,
> I'd have to check it twice a day.

Lots of people use Earthlink's mail for business. It's not like you
can't check it if you're nervous.

Soundlike you are an ideal candidate for Apple's Mail.app Junk filter.
Any email the program thinks is junk is sent to a Junk filter, and you
can check that folder anytime you like to make sure no important mail
somehow got in there.

I can tell you that in several months of use, Apple's Mail has YET to
flag even **one** legitimate email as junk (OTOH,  in that same period
a handful of spam pieces have gotten through as legit). I don't know
how the Spaminator works, but Mail uses a bayesian filter to focus not
just on headers but on the content of the message in order to figure
out junk from legit. This seems to work tremendously well (unless
you're in the multi-level marketing scams, penis enlargement or sex
website businesses I suppose!). You might want to check THAT out rather
than trust an ISP to do the filtering for you.

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."