[P1] hot spots in the U.S.

maizychicken maizychicken at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 03:56:55 PST 2003

on 1/28/03 11:44 PM, Brian Olesky at brian4 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> On 1/28/03 11:17 AM, "maizychicken at earthlink.net"
> <maizychicken at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Brian, assuming one found a wireless network that's not password protected,
>> how does one access it?  How should I configure my computer?  I don't have an
>> airport card, but am getting one soon....
>> Best,
>> Maizy
>>
> When you install your Airport Card, you'll find an icon in your menubar that
> looks like a striped slice of pie. When you pull it down it gives you an
> option to turn your airport card on or off, plus it also shows what wifi
> networks are available to you at that moment. Of course, you should see your
> own, but if you're in range of someone else's, you'll see the name of their
> network as well. If you simply click on it, and you're lucky, you'll get
> right on, and off you go. But sometimes, if it's been password-protected,
> you won't be able to get on without that password. Sometimes when I'm in a
> client's office, I'll log on, notice that they have a wifi network that's
> password protected, I'll ask them for the password, and bingo, I'm online,
> without having to resort to the old dialup method. When I visit my
> daughter's office in San Francisco, obviously a hotbed of hotspots, I can
> open my computer and find as many as 3 or 4 available wifi connections
> available. And don't worry about all this talk of it being illegal or
> unethical. If all you're doing is logging on to get your email and do a
> little innocent surfing, you're not really hurting anybody or depleting
> their assets in any way.
>
> Brian

Thanks, Brian.  Can't wait to get my airport card----it seems a snap to get
it going.  Just hope I don't botch the installation : )  I didn't intend to
do anything illegal like computer trespassing---just email and some surfing.
The local Uni has wireless networks all over the campus and at other spots
in town.  This network *is* password protected, but since I'm an employee I
already have a username and password for my business email.  Just need to
get my iBook set up and off I go...........
Maizy