[P1] hot spots in the U.S.

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Wed Jan 29 04:34:03 PST 2003

On Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003, at 22:12 US/Central, Pam Sorooshian wrote:

> I find them here and there - I can see that I'm receiving a signal -
> but usually can't connect. There is one place I can connect and can
> surf the net and receive email, but I can't send email. Any
> suggestions about that?

Most ISPs won't accept an SMTP connection from outside their
network unless there's some authentication.  You usually have
to use the local ISP's SMTP server, or you have to set up
to use authenticated SMTP through your own ISP.  The way this
is set up varies with ISP--many of them will simply say it
can't be done, but it can, and OS X Mail is happy to use it.

Regards,

	Mike