firewire drive format?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jan 29 22:04:47 PST 2003

> From: Alric.J.Lam at Dartmouth.EDU (Alric J. Lam)
> I would like to use my firewire hard drive to store files from both my
> iBook at
> home and my PC at work.  Are there any advantages or disadvantages to
> formatting
> with HFS+ as opposed to FAT32 or NTFS?  I've heard that OSX will read
> PC
> formats, while Win XP needs extra software (like MacDrive 5) to read
> mac
> formatted disks.  I would rather not pay for software at this time, so
> I am
> leaning towards formatting it with a PC format, but I'd first like to
> know if
> there are any problems that might occur on the Mac side if I do that.

You will likely destroy the Mac data you attempt to put on that drive.
PC-formatted drives don't know from resource forks.

I was wondering if you could partition it and format one partition HFS+
and one partition FAT32, but I've never heard of anyone doing this so I
don't know if you could do that.

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."