[P1] Hot Spots in the U.S.

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Wed Jan 29 23:17:24 PST 2003

>Okay - Just lighten up a little here! You're scaring the children! ;)
>There is no law against joining an open wireless network that is not
>password protected!

I've been reading this thread, and, so far, no participant has said that
he/she is an attorney. Unless one is an attorney and well-versed in
cyber-law or one has an attorney's analysis and opinion, it's dangerous
to make a statement that something is or is not legal. It's also
problematic in that states may have different laws. (We also have members
who live in countries other than the US, where cyber-law may be very
different.) If someone has a reference to a web page that does have a
definitive legal opinion on the legal issues involved in using someone
else's wireless network without their permission (or even without their
knowledge), let's have it. Otherwise, everyone is just giving his or her
own opinion, which is worth just what we're paying for it. The opinions
expressed here seem to be more what someone HOPES is true, rather than
what he/she KNOWS is true.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com
(not an attorney, either)