[P1] Airport Base Station trouble

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Wed Jul 2 19:49:20 PDT 2003

> I've just bought an original AirPort base station (graphite) and have
> it sharing my Internet connection (through the modem) with my win98 PC
> over ethernet and iBook over WiFi. Problem is, every so often the base
> station crashes. It's happened three times today already and is
> starting to get annoying!
>
> Usually when it crashes it stops responding to any requests... if I
> try pinging it, nothing happens. If I open up the AirPort Admin
> Utility it doesn't find the base station either. And of course all
> attempts to load web pages fail.

It might not be the base station. I was having similar trouble,
including the Admin Utility not seeing it. A few days ago, I realized
that when I was hung, my son (on the G3 Ethernet'ed to the base) was
still able to get online. Turning off the AirPort card on the iBook,
then turning it back on, fixes the problem.

Not sure what's causing the problem for me, unless it's moving between
home (wide-open) and work (WEP). I only have the hanging AirPort card
problem at home, so I suspect that the iBook or the AirPort card is
still trying to use WEP to access a base that doesn't need it.
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."