[P1] printer

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sat Jul 5 06:41:34 PDT 2003

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 08:59  AM, Jo wrote:

> Apple is offering a deal on the Canon i450 bubblejet printer with an
> ibook purchase. Anyone know if this is a good printer for text? (I've
> never used a bubblejet, only inkjets by Epson.)

Canon calls them bubblejets - same idea as inkjets. In fact, if I
remember correctly, the original Apple branded color printers were made
by Canon. I currently steer people away from Epson printers. Their use
of 'smart' cartridges keep ink prices artificially high. Also their
'service' has become terrible within the last year. And finally, I am
still quite ticked at how long it took for them to release OS X drivers.

We got a batch of HP color inkjets at work which are pretty good. Photo
printing had muted colors but not at all muddy like Lexmark printers
tend to be. For text, I've been quite pleased with HP and Lexmark. My
local Apple dealer has been pushing Canon and HP printers. I don't have
any personal experience with them but the sample pages he printed
looked good. And, John hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David