[P1] wailing feedback

Michael Adams bulk at michaeladams.org
Sun Jul 6 20:32:01 PDT 2003

Ron Reames wrote:

> When I turn up my volume I get a loud, high-pitched feedback wail from
> my 12" 600mz iBook.
> Nothing I've tried- other than turning the sound down- will eliminate it.
>
> Seems it started after I plugged in a cord into my external speakers
> port which was connected to a cassette player's speakers output.
>
> I know I shouldn't have done an sound output to a sound output, but I
> had the laptop at a friends house and he used this method along with
> Spin Doctor to record a record to my mac.
>
> Is some sort of sound hardware ruined on my iBook now?

I'm going to ask a really obvious question, but have you tried turning
the microphone input volume down? (System Prefs : Sound : Input). If
it's to high then it could cause feedback, though I've never had any
trouble with it.

If that doesn't help, well, it doesn't look good. Did you actually
manage to record anything through the speaker out plug on you iBook?

--Michael.