[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sun Jul 6 23:27:31 PDT 2003

> Hmmm...you are using OS 9 because you noted that you increased the
> memory allocation. Increasing the memory of the computer means that
> your virtual memory allocation may have increased...how much unused
> hard drive space do you have? The only thing I can think of that would
> result in slower saves is that your drive space is getting limited and
> the space left is quite fragmented.

When you have lots of ram, you don't need lots of virtual memory. In OS
9, the default minimum will be 1MB over your actual Ram amt, ie, if you
have 640 MB RAM, the min. VM would be 641 MB. Check your Memory control
panel and see what the actual VM setting is. If it is more than this,
reset it. It's been a while since I used OS 9 and I don't remember RAM,
you don't need it any more.

As David suggested, another problem may be your HD space or lack
thereof. VM reserves its allocation on the HD and does not permit it to
be used for data storage only for cache storage. In other words, if you
have 641 MB of VM, 641 MB of HD space is permanently reserved for VM's
use and is unavailable to you. If your HD says there is 1 GB of storage
left, you actually have 383 MB os HD space useable. That could
seriously affect your speed when accessing or saving data because it
takes much longer to find empty nooks and crannies to stuff the new
data into.

Some other factors to consider as relevant are how fragmented your
drive is. If you have a disk optimization utility, run it to check for
fragmentation. If your files are cut up into many fragments, there's
your culprit, especially if you have lots of small files cut into
pieces. If you have Disk Warrior, use it to check the condition of your
HD directory. If that is out of sorts, it will slow down access time
significantly.

Finally, you refer to *data heavy* apps. If you could give us more
information about your specific computer, the OS, RAM, HD size and what
apps you are referring to plus how large the files are, we could
probably give you more specific information or suggestions.

When RAM is installed, if something is wrong with the installation, the
new RAM won't show up in the "About this mac" window. If the
installation is ok but the RAM is not correct or is defective, you will
find problems in software behavior. Computer slowdown, especially in
apps that use a lot of cache space will almost always be caused by
directory or HD space issues. The fact thatyour problems began with the
RAM addition lead me to suspect VM, HD space, HD fragmentation.

One suggestion  to help with large or complex file saving will help
with data storage and directory problems also. When you have worked or
re-worked a large file or any Adobe file instead of doing a simple
"save", do a "save as" especially and always for the last save of the
file. When you do simple saves, the data gets stored in the next
available block. If it is too large, the remainder goes to the next
available block, etc. until it is all saved. The NEXT AVAIL BLOCK IS
NOT ALWAYS THE NEXT SEQUENTIAL BLOCK. The next avail block could be
clear across the drive and it has to spin around to that place, deposit
what it can and spin to the next avail block. When you then access the
file the next tiime, it has to spin around finding all those pieces and
putting the whole thing back together again. Computer slow down results.

However, if you do a save as, the processor will attempt to save the
file in as large a single piece as possible which means it will look
for the largest and most contiguous blocks to store the file in. Faster
access, slower save in general and extremely slow if HD space is
scarce. So once you get your HD and directory cleaned up, start
practicing good storage habits to help keep it that way longer.

Buying a new drive to get more space will solve an immediate problem
but will not solve the clutter problem on the scrambled drive. If money
is short and you do not have access to the utility software apps,
consider getting another HD, formatting it and then open each large
file and do a "save as" to the new drive. Yes, it will be very time
consuming but it is much cheaper than buying all the utilities now that
the drives are so much cheaper. You can pace it a bit by simply doing a
"save as" the first time you open a file with the new drive installed
and doing the save as then. The only reason you would have to
completely do all the save as at one time is if the speed factor was so
distracting you simply couldn't get any profitable work done until it
was resolved.

Once all the files are transferred to the new drive and verified, back
up to CD also for security. Then erase and reformat the old drive and
set it up as a Mirror back up site and schedule it to be done daily at
the end of your work period.

To keep these suggestions in perspective, I am writing this from the
experience of someone who is a total pack rat, has never taken my own
advice and now am faced with a lot of extra large drives I really HAVE
TO sit down and clean out. 8?)