[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 12:28:58 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 05:25  AM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

>> True, however you can set VM to much higher amounts, double or triple
>> the amount of RAM.
>
> Yes, that is what "minimum" means...

Who was it that called me picky?

>> The best improvement in OS 9 is to max out your ram and turn vm off
>> and
>> then increase the amount of RAM devoted to an application.
>
> It is usually a better idea to leave VM at the minimum setting
> (physical RAM
> + 1 MB). This allows applications to leave unused parts of themselves
> on
> disk, arther than in RAM. That way, you can run more applications
> simultaneously, because your RAM is used much more efficiently. As
> long as
> enough physical RAM is available, there won't be much of a slowdown.

Better vs best, my way vs your way...  :)

One problem with running more applications in OS X is that the more you
have running the more files you lose when 9 freezes.

Was the part of my email snipped that mentioned increasing the amount
of allotted ram to an application to improve performance or did I post
that in another email. Increasing an applications allotted Ram by
100-200% greatly improves the performance, especially if you turn of VM
in 9 and before.

---
The 2003 campaign begins...
<http://www.JackRodgers.com>