[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 12:34:19 PDT 2003

>  ACD Systems expects me to buy two
> copies of Canvas 9 for both computers even though I only use one
> Canvas at a
> time.

Software...what a thing...it has made thieves, complainers and mad
people out of so many of us, including me.

We don't complain about nor expect to use a set of tires on more than
one vehicle nor to be able to eat that $50 dinner more than once nor to
watch every movie in a theater on the one ticket (some theaters have 10
or 20 screens showing different movies) even though we might try to
sneak into another movie. But we will complain about a $50 piece of
software license and that we can only use it on one computer...

Software is a different creature. Because we can easily copy it to
another computer or steal a copy that has been serialized we think we
should be able to. Granted, some companies have allowed copies on two
or more computers and there are family licenses, server licenses, etc.
I myself am grumbling about Microsoft telling me I can't install the
drivers for my Explorer Trackball on X and on VPC since it only allows
one installation per computer.

I am amazed at the ease with which software corrupts people, including
myself, and how children and adults become software thieves when they
might not steal anything more profitable like cars or diamonds. Maybe
it's just the fear of going to jail that makes the difference.

They call themselves Pirates but why would anyone think it would be
glamorous to associate oneself with the image of a murdering,
plundering, raping, bloodthirsty group of individuals?

Kinda brings to mind the time when I was a bit on the down side, hungry
and standing outside a restraunt watching people eat just inches away.
All that kept me from their food was a window...and 5000 armed
policemen.

---
Historically the ideas that tend to make everyone mad are the ideas
that become socially accepted in a decade or so.

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net