software licensing

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Jul 9 23:53:45 PDT 2003

>>  But we will complain about a $50 piece of
>> software license and that we can only use it on one computer...

Unfortunately, Jack, the software in question is not $50. Try $299 for
an upgrade and as much as $599 if you need one of the new
subclassification versions of Canvas.

Adobe software has always been high priced but I didn't complain about
it because I felt they packed a lot of stuff into each package. Many
times there is more than I will use and I always shop for a long time
to get the best pricing. Many times, I can wait long enough to find an
older version on clearance so I can get the upgrade version and still
save more than the original price for the full version. But not
eveybody can do that or wait that long.

With the new licensing scheme, Adobe is effectively doubling or
tripling the price of upgrades or initial purchases since not only will
we have to buy more copies or have juggling problems trying to work in
multiple locations but the actual cost in Dollars is rising also. Since
Adobe instituted the scheme in order to get small business business
when they were trying to get big enough to compete, it seems like this
is not the right economic time to pull that policy out from under
businesses who also are struggling. It will simply force many companies
to continue using old software much longer and well beyond its useful
life just so they can afford to compete.

We are not talking about software theft or piracy here, we are talking
about what has become fair use by virtue of the companies granting the
installation on 2 computers with only one in use at a time. This
occurred because they were trying to attract all users not just the
large corporations. They could have simply sold the first copy at full
price and severely discounted a second license provided the user agreed
not to use both copies at the same time. But they didn't. THEY chose to
permit the use of the second copy if it was the only copy in use. If
they are going to rescind that option, they really need to address the
issue of cost for small business.

Perhaps they should even address the concept of how much is packed into
the major apps and have simpler versions at lower cost for those who
don't need the whole thing. Similar to what Adobe is now doing with
Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.