OT: Software Licensing

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jul 10 02:51:16 PDT 2003

> From: david <davidwb at spymac.com>
>
>> I think you'll find this statement to be untrue. If you try installing
>> Canvas on a computer that is not connected to the net or to a network,
>> I believe it will install just fine.
>
> Until the computer is connected to the network again and the program
> run. Then it is deactivated. Hardly an acceptable solution in today's
> modern world.

MS Office and Quark Xpress operate EXACTLY the same way, if I
understand you properly.

> This is the case of Quark of course, they'd make us pay for a special
> Quark only keyboard if they could get away with it.

LOL!!

Actually, they DID (in a way). Remember the dongle they used to attach?
Boy the invention of USB through them for a LOOP for a couple of years
(IIRC). They finally (actually starting with v.3.3, but not widely
used) came up with a "dongle-less" version and I believe they've
finally said goodbye to all that. Talk about ridiculous, I used to joke
that each new copy of Quark came with it's own "minder" who kept an eye
on it to make SURE it wasn't being used improperly!!

>  Of the Adobe suite,
> until OS X I hadn't upgraded my own computer for years so I can't speak
> about more recent versions but I am quite certain that Illustrator 3
> did allow notebook/desktop installations. I'm also certain that
> SuperPaint and Pagemaker when it was an Aldus product did too. So did
> Word Perfect - including WordPerfect Works.

Woah, daddy-o! The Nixon administration was a loooong time ago! We've
moved on to COLOUR screens and MULTITASKING and *everything!* Trade in
that jalopy for a HOT ROD already!

(just ribbin' ya! :)

>  The list used to be quite
> long. One of the reasons I'm aware of it is because I used to have
> several law offices as clients and they were sticklers for being legal
> and cheap!

Then they'll LOVE WordPerfect 3.5e ... FREE!!

_Chas_

"The Box said 'Windows 95 or better' ... so I got a Macintosh."