Accidental battery life development, continued

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jul 10 03:00:41 PDT 2003

> From: andy <letterspackages at telus.net>
> 	I'm a little stumped. I don't really want to call up Apple and =
> ask,=20
> however,
> about 10.3 problems because I wasn't at the conference: one of the
> programmers that works for my father, was=97 that's who I'd got it
> from=97=
> =20
> but,
> still...

Unless you want to get your dev friend in BIG TROUBLE, I would strongly
suggest NOT calling Apple. What he did was ILLEGAL and at *minimum*
he'd be kicked out of the ADC with NO refund.

You and any others out there who have "bootleg" copies of Panther would
be well-advised to remember three things:

1. You're breaking the law, and depending on how reckless you are, you
could easily expose yourself to litigation.
2. Panther is in ALPHA. There are BIG, SERIOUS, NOT-YET-KNOWN BUGS. As
in DATA-DESTROYING bugs. I've seen many reports of problems, ranging
from minor to very serious.
3. You *cannot* upgrade your install of Panther Preview to the full
version. That means you must WIPE the drive if you want to use the
final release.

No lectures, just FYI. Believe me, I really *do* understand the
curiousity factor, but just like a real panther, this software's got
teeth ... and it can come back to bite you BIG TIME.

_Chas_

"With the introduction of the new iTunes Music Store, we've now built
the  first real complete ecosystem for the digital music age. We've got
a way to buy music online legally that's fantastic -- it's better than
any other way to acquire music. We've got a way manage music with the
iTunes  Jukebox, which is the best in the world. And we've got a way to
listen to music on the go with the iPod, which is the most popular MP3
player in the world and one of the coolest things in the world. So
we've really got, from one end to another, a complete solution for
digital music. We're the only people in the world to do this, so we
feel great about it." -- Steve Jobs, Time Magazine, 30-April-03