[P1] software licensing

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Thu Jul 10 06:45:44 PDT 2003

Jack Rodgers wrote the following:

> I am becoming more attached to my idea of adding a user license and
> giving away the software as is now being done via piracy. Licensing the
> user and a server license for corporations would be the best idea. Then
> the individual could put the software on as many personal computers as
> they like.

Jack, I can only say that you bring variety to the mix with your words and I
wouldn't want it any other way...after all variety is the spice of life. I
do however differ with most of what you write.

The above is a wonderful example of the band aid solution that is so often
sought to problems, 'if we just make this different then that will solve
everything...

Would it not be better to get to the root of the issue and find better ways
to educate the people, in this case about Software...With education people
have more information and can make an educated choice as to whether they do
an action or not (some will still rebel but then it is easier and justified
to go after them)...simply making a tougher situation will not approach the
core problem...

If people understood more of the issue of the amount of work and genius that
went into software (we are really paying for intellectual property) and the
jobs dependant on this as well as what difference it can make to not have
this service, then they may decide it is worth licensing and in turn the
companies could start reducing the price, more people would buy, etc...
(they wouldn't have to cover the costs of the untold pirate copies or new
security measures that will surely be cracked) and there would be a better
mutual relationship...Apple is certainly better in this aspect than MS...

As to your quip about knowing of any open source software worth having (not
your exact words)...

What do you think Darwin is? BSD? Safari and quite a bit of X is based on
open source work and it shows the strength that can be achieved...and this
open source shows that all most software people want is to have some
recognition of the work and knowledge behind the software...imagine what
would be possible if we were all willing to justly pay them to pursue
this...MS would no longer exist and an individual would be allowed to retain
privacy...software would be reasonably priced and often updated, bugs would
be fixed, security would go up...

Well I have ranted enough and after all it is only my opinion...

Richard