[P1] software licensing

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 06:02:55 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 02:53  AM, e.mkeene wrote:

> We are not talking about software theft or piracy here, we are talking
> about what has become fair use by virtue of the companies granting the
> installation on 2 computers with only one in use at a time. This
> occurred because they were trying to attract all users not just the
> large corporations. They could have simply sold the first copy at full
> price and severely discounted a second license provided the user
> agreed not to use both copies at the same time. But they didn't. THEY
> chose to permit the use of the second copy if it was the only copy in
> use. If they are going to rescind that option, they really need to
> address the issue of cost for small business.

I am becoming more attached to my idea of adding a user license and
giving away the software as is now being done via piracy. Licensing the
user and a server license for corporations would be the best idea. Then
the individual could put the software on as many personal computers as
they like.

> Perhaps they should even address the concept of how much is packed
> into the major apps and have simpler versions at lower cost for those
> who don't need the whole thing. Similar to what Adobe is now doing
> with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

Like the Finder, where you can show all features or just a limited set
of menus. 4D tried that idea and it didn't work too well for them.
Final Cut Express is an attempt to do this. Do you think Graphic
Converter gives Photoshop users an alternative?

---
Since the Iraqis have all that oil and want the US to leave, why
shouldn't the US depart and let them pay for their own rebuilding with
the oil and maybe a few hundred billion for our expenses in setting
them free of Sadaam?

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com