[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Gene Bogart gbogart at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 11 13:38:06 PDT 2003

> Try walking into MacDonalds and saying "I've spent hundreds of dollars
> in here and now I want a free burger..."

I think this is the wrong analogy, Jack. (No one's legitimately asking for
free computers, or even free software). It would be more like, you bought an
order of fries, and then McDonalds says you can't share that same order with
your wife. Or you can't take your food outside, to eat it in your car.

> Odd that we might not think twice about spending tens of thousands of
> dollars each for two or more cars because we can't duplicate them but
> then get all bent out of shape because we can copy software so easily
> but our license says we can only use one copy. Maybe we just don't like
> the responsibility of being trusted.

Again, I think it's the wrong analogy. It would be as if you bought a car,
and then put in a custom stereo system. Later, you buy a new car -- but the
stereo manufacturer says you don't have the right to move the stereo system
you purchased into your "new" car.

Or you buy a cel phone with an auto adapter -- and then the cel phone
company says you can't ALSO use the cel phone at your home desk.

I don't think anyone (other than maybe the manufacturers) would think these
were reasonable or responsible concepts.

Ooh, ooh --  just one more:  You buy a book, to read. Then later, your son
wants to take it to school, to do a book report. The publisher says, no, you
are not "licensed" for multiple readers.  Yow!!

OK, I lied - one more:  I write a song, and sell it to you on a CD, for you
to play on your home stereo. Then I tell you that if you also want to play
it in your car, you have to buy another copy of the CD. (Yikes!)

I guess it's the difference between "licensing the use" of something, and
owning something. But it sure seems to me that if you pay cash money to buy
something off the shelf at CompUSA or any other store, you own it.

Let Freedom Ring!

GB