[P1] DVD region codes?

Park Parkblue at gmx.net
Mon Jul 14 11:35:16 PDT 2003

I completely agree with Joe's and Peter's assessment of the futile and
laughable attempts to control the world-wide flow of content. After I
explained to an American friend who just brought a DVD from France why his
US-player spits the DVD out (well, sort of), he had little clouds of steam
coming out of his ears. He truly did not know and looked at me rather
disbelieving.

Do content-providers really, truly believe the audience will buy multiples
of CDs/DVDs depending on where they want to play it?

Applaudable civil disobedience: at least one large, well-established
electronics-store in Munich offers to "snip" any DVD player bought in their
store. I for one will update my player asap. With glee, to boot.

Thank you, Joe and Peter,

-tobias.