[P1] DVD region codes?

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Jul 14 19:01:33 PDT 2003

> I don't see how DVDs are any different to VHS tapes. Movies on VHS are
> subject to the exact same licensing and distribution restrictions due
> to different countries and release windows but if you put and American
> one into your VHS player in the UK it will play without any problem
> (assuming either your VHS player can convert it to PAL or your TV
> accepts NTSC, which means about 80% of the TVs and VHS decks in the
> UK).

Such devices are far more common there than they are in the US; there
just isn't as much of a market here for multi-standard equipment.
(Apart from DVD players, it's prohibitively expensive).

> Is it just because the movie studios can get away with it now?
> Purchase legislation with "campaign contributions" maybe.

In this case, it's because the format allows them a technological
solution that was built-in as the platform was developed.

> I can't see the need for the lockdown on DVDs apart from the need to
> price gouge.

I'm not sure this aspect of the DVD market in the UK, but here in the
US, prices for both hardware and DVD discs have fallen *dramatically*
as just about everyone (from the studios to retailers) use them to
attract interest to the platform or as a loss leader. In many cases,
product is at a lower price point than a comparable VHS release would
have been before the introduction of the format. In the aggregate, it's
a far better product for consumers at a much lower price.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net