[P1] Accidental battery life development, continued

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Thu Jul 17 07:34:55 PDT 2003

I'm afraid I beg to differ here.

Lithium batteries have a finite number of recharge cycles, and they do
need to be conditioned to keep them at peak capacity. There's no
counter that runs down to zero and then kills the battery, but you're
only going to get 500 or so charges out of it. Every month you're
supposed to run the battery down until the computer goes to sleep on
its own, then charge it up to full.

I make a habit of never charging my battery unless the sleep warning
comes on (at about 7% charge). As a result, over a year later my
battery still gives me 5 hours per full charge if I'm careful (ie, no
DVD watching with the screen on full brightness).

Joe