[P1] Install memory - screws

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sat Jul 26 00:58:16 PDT 2003

> There are two screws that secure the RAM shield. I picked the smallest
> philips screw driver that I have at home. It's not making them turn.
> They don't seem to budge. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to visit my
> local Radio Shack for the right tool to remove these screws? Thank you
> all in advance.

Visit your favorite dollar store and pick up a set of jewelers
screwdrivers. The smallest phillips in the set should do the trick.
Depending on which dollar store you visit, you can find sets with 3-7
screwdrivers per set.

Also, MicroCenter currently has a nice computer tool kit on sale, list
price was $15 but I got it for $2.99. It has a lot of handy tools
including 2 pair of tiny pliers, asst of screwdriver bits, etc. and
comes in a hard plastic case the folds into thirds making it about the
size of a PDA but thicker. They frequently have these tool kits on sale
pretty cheap so I usually end up getting each one they reduce low
enough. I got one the has a great ergonomic "T" handle screwdriver in
it.

Then I went to the friendly dollar store and they had the same design
in a schoolbus yellow but it had a great refinement-the handle had
precisely drilled holes to accommodate the extra bits. This style works
great  when swapping HDs in the G4 tower. It has a bit that really fits
well and the handle lets you center your weight directly on the bit so
there is no slippage or screw damage.