[P1] Install memory - screws

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sat Jul 26 01:06:06 PDT 2003

> Further note about installing RAM on an iBook. Be very careful with the
> screws. It's incredibly easy to drop them into the computer, never to
> be
> seen again, just heard as they rattle about, threatening to short out
> something.

My dollar store jeweler screwdrivers usually fit these screws snugly
enough to actually hold the screw vertically so you can set them
precisely in the hole, twist and close it up. However, because I am
naturally klutzy, I also take the precaution of using a pair of
tweezers to hold the threads and lower that over the hole.There is
usually one thread exposed when I use the tiniest tweezer I have. I
place that one thread in the hole, stabilize with the tweezers and then
I can screw it in without any mishaps.

Also as a precaution due to klutziness, I have a "parts tube" from one
of my bargain computer tool kits that I keep the parts in to keep from
losing them while I insert the RAM. A pill bottle works well also.