[P1] iBook trade-up worth it? -- Was iBook 500 Jaguar and Calculator

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Thu Jul 31 02:28:35 PDT 2003

On 2003-07-31 03:44, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> Anybody with 500 MHz iBook and now 800-900 MHz experience have any comments on
> speed increases?  These things keep their value well, and I keep contemplating
> a new low-end iBook/trade-up, though I'd hate to lose the CD-R.  And I'm
> afraid it'd still be a touch slow for Netbeans (netbeans.org).

I am thinking the same thing. Mine's a 600 MHz (Rage128/Combo) model, and
these go for some 1000 euro's on the second-hand market here. A new 900 MHz
Combo iBook is only 1400 euros (and to think I paid some 2300 for mine!), so
for 400 euros I'll have 50% more clockspeed, a larger L2 cache, Radeon
graphics (with monitor spanning and QE support), faster CD burning, and of
course that new computer smell.

In your case, you'll also get a faster bus, which can really make a
difference. I would advise you to go for the faster model, the megahertz
myth really is true when it comes to Java development, and to max out the
RAM. I don't use NetBeans myself (just BBEdit and Ant), but I do notice that
RAM and clockspeed are the big performance issues with Java development.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
If you play the Windows CD backwards you hear a satanic message.
But it gets worse... If you play it forwards it installs Windows.