[P1] Word formatting in Mac, PC

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Thu Jul 31 16:55:40 PDT 2003

I had to print out a rather funky Word document today -- heavy on
tables, and several of them spilled into the margins. Since I was stuck
in a meeting & bored, I ran it through several programs I had on hand...

AppleWorks 6 (came with the iBook) -- output garbled immensely.

OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 -- formatted well enough; required some tweaking
but then the first table didn't print properly.

Word.X (on my desktop at work) -- not as good as one would expect;
needed more tweaking than OOo but printed properly.

FrameMaker 7 -- took a long time to open the file, but required minimal
tweaking & print was best of the bunch.

Just like the situations where a Mac does a better job of opening PC
files, sometimes Word isn't the best choice to open a Word document.
But if OOo did as well as it did with a "torture test" document, it
certainly merits a little more prodding to see what it's capable of.
Here's hoping for a Cocoa version, and soon!
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."