To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jun 1 17:42:53 PDT 2003

> From: don hinkle <donhinkle at att.net>
>
> Jack, are you saying that OS X has virtual memory turned *ON* by
> default?

Yes. OS X has an integrated virtual memory that CANNOT be turned off.
This is a Good Thing.

> Is there a way to see it on my computer, whether on or off?

It doesn't work like OS 9's VM scheme. The system efficiently uses the
RAM you have, and only grabs VM if required.

You can view it (after a fashion) by invoking the Unix command "top"
from the Terminal, or by using one of several third-party utilities.

> Has anyone tried turning it off?

You do not want to turn it off. EVER.

As far as I know, you can't anyway. Again, this is a Very Good Thing.

If you'd like to know more about VM and UNIX and Mac OS X, may I
suggest Mac OS X: The Missing Manual by David Pogue. You'll find an
even deeper explanation in the O'Reilly Book "Mac OS X in a Nutshell."

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.