[P1] To Partition or...! Virtual Memory

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Mon Jun 2 11:43:46 PDT 2003

At startup, a basic VM allocation is done, like 41MB or 61MB
or some such.  So the HD would always have that.  If you used
up your RAM and this basic VM, and the HD were otherwise full,
you'd be in an out-of-memory condition and however that
would be handled would be what would happen, like some
program or OS error, etc I'd guess.  Not a crash if things
are well written.

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Richard McKay wrote:
 . . .
> Just out of curiosity...has anyone tried /know what happens when there is
> only the absolute minimum RAM (taken removable RAM out) and filled (no doubt
> this would have to be done on purpose and then done a defragmentation and
> filled again to ensure total disk space usage) the drive...then ran whatever
> programs would start and tried switching or using large items copied to the
> clipboard? As VM is never off, what happens? There would be no place to
> write the info to...does this cause the OS to crash or would it simply
> refuse to allow the extra RAM action to be carried out...
 . . .