[P1] To Partition or...!

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 15:46:08 PDT 2003

> Subject: Re: [P1] To Partition or...!
> From: Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com>
> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:38:04 -0700

> I suppose this isn't a bad reason to partition, but why can't you do
> all this by booting from the CD, thus leaving the entire HD available
> to your system and files?

I suppose I just find it easier to move files to a storage partition for a while when reformatting than pulling from burnt CD-Rs or another backup.  OS X doesn't boot while you're on the go?  Hold down option and boot into 9 (or 10.0, or whatever else you've got).

> The problem with partitioning, as someone here said, is that you're
> always wasting space.

It's not enough to matter to me when I've got 40 gigs, luckily.  And back in the HFS days of OS 9, you'd actually save space when you had partitions.  There's a maximum sector (or some such) number, so a file that's 1k might take 153k (the smallest unit HFS would handle on a drive of arbitrarily large size) -- like they do on my old StarMax running 8.6.

I also like swapping out OSs, particularly Linux, which is yet another reason to have a partition laying around!

Ruffin Bailey