[P1] It's the fan, again....

Mary Keene e.mkeene at wap.org
Thu Jun 5 00:06:40 PDT 2003

> Just a thought....what if the problem isn't in the iBook but in the A/C
> adapter? Every time mine has done anything strange I've been connected
> to the adapter. Like maybe a little surge happens and the adapter
> maintains the surge until the power is interrupted by a shutdown or
> restart....any electricians out there with a thought on this?

When you use the adaptor, do you connect the adaptor into a surge
protector and then into the wall current? If not, you really should do
that. You can also call your power company and ask them if they have a
problem with "dirty" electricity. They may even check your power lines
and house wiring for free, just tell them about the problems and ask
for help. This is one of the rare times, you can even use gender to
indicate helplessness if necessary ;-)

Something else you may want to do is have an electrician check your
house wiring especially if it is a rather old house. I had a friend who
kept having a lot of problems with her computer accessories, printer,
scanner, zip, etc. having major repair problems. all the guys on the
tech board kept having her check the techie things for problems, I
asked how old the wiring was and what kind of surge protection she was
using.

No surge protection, house wiring was VERY OLD, electrician said it was
so underwired, he didn't know why she had not set it on fire instead of
burning out electronics.

If none of this applies to you, one other inexpensive test you could
try, get one of the APC 500 Backups battery/surgeprotector packages on
sale. They usually run $60 full price and as low as $30 on sale. Plug
your adaptor into that and use the ibook on adaptor and APC only while
at home. If it no longer gets really hot and the fan doesn't come on,
you can pretty much decide you have a wiring problem of some kind.