Great apps that one should not be without

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sat Jun 14 03:04:39 PDT 2003

Charles Martin wrote the following response to this question from Jeremy:

>> From: Jeremy Weiss <ladmo_x at mindspring.com>
>>
>> p.s. is there any apps that none of you can live without? just got me
>> ibook a few weeks ago and am new to os X and was wonderin what im
>> missing. thanks again for the info!

> As for "apps I can't live without," at the top of my list would be
> Cocktail, a FREE system utility that goes beyond Disk Utility but stops
> short of replacing DiskWarrior. Essential, PARTICULARLY after system
> updates

Agreed, even if you do get into using the CMI, Cocktail is a great app. I
won't go without it either...

I would like to mention that before considering apps to make your new iBook
better have you considered adding an airport card? Maxing out the RAM? These
things will bring larger benefits than a few apps, IMHO.

I also happen to like a small hack for opening system prefs directly from
the dock to the area I wish to change without going through the show all
pane first called prefling.

Toast allows more flexibility for burning CDs/etc...

If you listen to internet radio a lot you might wish to consider Windows
Media Player for X or Real Player for X.

The great thing about the current situation with new Macs is that there is
nothing else really needed to make it run great...However, if you are new to
X there is a fantastic variety of possibilities open to you now...try
playing around with apples X11 and Open Office or using Fink to get to know
some great ports from Linux to Mac OS X...there are great exploration
possibilities for you as well with Java, Bluetooth, and Developer
Tools...also if you are interested in editing pictures then Gimp is
certainly worth checking out...and and and...

> I find the iTunes Music Store essential, but that comes with your
> machine (or is downloaded from Apple for free).

Ouch, that hurt...I would love to be able to say the same but alas living in
the UK (or anywhere outside the US) does not allow me to enjoy this
pleasure...Yet, please be a yet situation...

Might need my flame suit from here on but before reading the following
please understand I am neither pro nor anti American.

<flame on>

> "With the introduction of the new iTunes Music Store, we've now built
> the  first real complete ecosystem for the digital music age. We've got
> a way to buy music online legally that's fantastic -- it's better than
> any other way to acquire music. We've got a way manage music with the
> iTunes  Jukebox, which is the best in the world. And we've got a way to
> listen to music on the go with the iPod, which is the most popular MP3
> player in the world and one of the coolest things in the world. So
> we've really got, from one end to another, a complete solution for
> digital music. We're the only people in the world to do this, so we
> feel great about it." -- Steve Jobs, Time Magazine, 30-April-03

Sorry, but just have to comment on this sig. I do have a Mac, iTunes and an
iPod but my ecosystem is missing a piece....I want my Music store too! I
hope Apple will recognise the other 15/16ths of the worlds population. We
still do not have full iPhoto features or Sherlock functions...and now this.
I am waiting for Macs to start coming painted with the US flag on them and a
disclaimer sticker stating this product works great in the US. In other
countries YMMV. Granted it works fine without these additions however, I
like most other humans would like my cake and be able to eat it too...

<flame off>

Cheers,

Richard