[P1] Upgrade question...

Dan Farley danfarley at mac.com
Fri Jun 27 16:31:14 PDT 2003

> My TiBook is G4, 400 and has to go in for an ajustment/alignment and
> the company doing the repair offers me an IBM drive replacement 30GB
> for a mere $159, plus $59 for the data transfer.  Also, I only have 384
> MB (256+128 MB) memory and they have  512 for $149 or 256 for $99.
> What would you do if you would one day hope to use it for Jaguar or
> such?  I do think the IBM is tempting, but then again, that's what CD's
> are all about, right?  What would you do?

Hmmmmm - ref the IBM 30 GB - I think you can get a 40 GB 5400 8MB cache IBM
or Toshiba for the same price - at least I'd check to see if it was a 5400
rpm drive. I'd be inclined to go as big/fast as I could at any rate. I put a
40 GB in my ibook 500 and luxuriated for about two weeks before I filled it
up!

Memory prices seem a bit high - and that's real easy to do. For os X the
more the merrier.

As for the data transfer for $59. I'd be inclined to buy a firewire HD 2.5
inch enclosure for about the same price and ask that they send my old drive
back. I'd put that in the enclosure and transfer what I needed with Carbon
Copy Cloner (freeware?).

<dealmac.com> is a great place to check general prices for the various
components you're talking about.

GL
Dan