[P1] Upgrade question...

andy letterspackages at telus.net
Fri Jun 27 21:43:51 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 08:57 p, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> Make sure delete is secure delete, ie zero out the drive space
> occupied by the files you don't want them to see.  I don't
> know of a non-commercial software to do this, but checking
> Version Tracker or Google or Apple's OSX downloads may find
> something.  (Actually, if you do, let us know.)

I've been paging through a few threads regarding first impressions of
Panther,
most notably here:
	http://funmac.com/
showthread.php?s=d92b2a515c16f9465ece7315da70171b&threadid=2027&perpage=
15&pagenumber=1
(with many, many screenshots). One of the features brought up was
Secure Pass deletion, built in.
1, 7 and 35 pass deletion from the Finder menu. I'm not sure which
method they're using (Gutmann,
NISPOM, etc.)... I'll also forward you on to this general overview of
the Gutmann method:
	http://rixstep.com/2/sd,001.html
I'm very wary about trusting any 'secure' methods of encryption or
deletion.

    andy