[P1] Connecting iBook to Wintel machine / ethernet

Michael Adams bulk at michaeladams.org
Sun Jun 29 21:29:17 PDT 2003

>     My ISP doles out IPs dynamically, though. If this is the case with
> you, too, I'd recommend checking out the free services
> at http://www.no-ip.com/ or a similar Dynamic DNS solution. It saves
> the hassle of checking that IP every couple of days.

I use static IP's at home, but Dynamic DNS is something completely
different isn't it? Not needed for simple computer to computer transfer,
IIRC.

>     I apologize that this was neither concise, nor clear. I blame it
> on XP. I'm going to create a new user on that machine right now and
> create an easy to follow, step-by-step howto, if that'd help.
> Otherwise, I'm sure we'll be able to answer any questions as they come
> up.

Yeah, I'd forgotton how "friendly" XP is when it comes to networking. OS
X isn't perfect either, though hopefully Panther improve this situation.
Mind you, the win9x's were never that great when it came to networking
either... always trying to log in with the current username and stuff.

--Michael.