[P1] Connecting iBook to Wintel machine / ethernet

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Jun 29 23:51:50 PDT 2003

Peter Nacken wrote the following:

> I have to laptops ... One wintel, one apple 10.2.6  and an ethernet cable in
> between ... What do I need to do to swap files ?? Never done, but I recall
> it is supposed to be mega easy ... A first test revealed nada ..

Besides the tips the others have given don't forget to turn on 'Windows file
Sharing' under the services tab of Sharing icon in System preferences app.
as well as to tick the box 'allow user to log in from Windows' at the bottom
of the account pull down menu (shows up after clicking on edit user button)
in users tab of accounts icon of System preferences. Make sure that this is
the user account you will use to log in with...

I am not sure if you need to also turn on 'personal file sharing' as well
but for the time you are connected with the ethernet cable it can't hurt...

after you are done be sure to turn these off again otherwise you are
potentially open to attack on the internet through these methods...

HTH,

Richard