[P1] Connecting iBook to Wintel machine / ethernet

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sun Jun 29 23:54:01 PDT 2003

Have you simply looked at the 10.2.6 Sharing System
Preferences > Services (and Firewall) various ways of
doing this?  Search eg "web sharing" in Mac Help (on the
menu bar) and take a look at the various items.  Also
Apple has some KnowledgeBase articles, eg (I've not
looked at these lately so can't vouch for the 10.2.6'ness
of them) KB19652 and the several links at the bottom of it,
and KB106660.

Note, BE AWARE that if you leave such services turned on
on your unit, others may attack your unit at will.  I do
these only within closed LANs, eg ad hoc with a friend
or working on a LAN, and only as long as needed.  You can,
of course, use them over the internet, but except for ssh
they may be a security risk.  (Cf I plugged in to a subnet of
a large organization recently, temporarily using a seldom-
used static IP address, and in less than a minute was hit
with a port scan from an outside address.)

 . . .