[P1] Connecting iBook to Wintel machine / ethernet

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Jun 30 01:39:55 PDT 2003

On 2003-06-30 05:20, Michael Adams wrote:

> If you don't know what the IP is of your PC, well then things get interesting.
> What you can do is on your PC, click on Start, Run (I think XP has this
> option?), then type in winipcfg and choose your network card from the drop
> down menu.

I'm pretty sure it's "ipconfig" in WinNT and its ilk (including WinXP).

> Look for the address, remember this, type it into the "Connect to Server"
> window and _hopefully_ you'll be away laughing.

That is assuming the PC's and Mac's IP networking have been configured. Out
of the box, both Macs and PC's are configured for DHCP addressing, so if
they are not on a network with a DHCP server, they will not be configured
correctly.

To do so, give them both (distinct) IP addresses in the same subnet
(192.168.1.xxx addresses are often used, with xxx being a number anywhere
between 1 and 254), with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

> Any one know an easier method to all this? I've just discovered the Samba
> Sharing Package (http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/) which works a treat on my
> network, but can be a bit of a hassle to set up. It lets PC's connect to any
> OS X machine without having to do anything special on the PC side.

Not necessarily easier, but you can do it through FTP, too. Enable the
built-in FTP server on the Mac (in the Sharing preference pane), and connect
to it through the Windows Explorer (ftp://[username]:[password]@[your Mac's
IP address]).

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Dead end
You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
>take shovel
Taken.
>eat shovel
You forcefully shove a shovel down your throat, and start choking.

You are dead.
You have scored 0 out of a possible 90 points.
--
Joost van de Griek
<http://www.jvdg.net/>