Sherlock--Why?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Jun 30 12:31:49 PDT 2003

> From: don hinkle <donhinkle at att.net>
>
> I don't understand about Sherlock in X. Does it only search the Web,
> like a Google, and not search for HD files or contents? If it's a
> Google
> substitute, is it better than Google?

If you're referring to Sherlock 3, then all I can tell you is to
explore it and the differences between it and Google will become
OBVIOUS.

Sherlock 3 now only searches the web, but not in the way (and not for
the same purpose) that Google does. Google is the best at what it does,
but Sherlock 3 does something else -- something called "web services."

Here's a page that may help explain it better (assuming you cannot just
try it out yourself):
http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/sherlock.html

In particular, I find the Yellow Pages and Airline Tracking features to
be INCREDIBLE. And I am told that another program called Watson does
much the same thing, only more so (and faster) than Sherlock. You can
have a look at Watson here:

http://karelia.com/watson/

As for hard drive searching, that is now handled right in the finder.
You just press command-F and Find comes up just like it did in the
olden days (only much better). You can also have a little search bar in
every Finder window if you want, very handy.

When Panther comes out, searching should become instantaneous, a
feature I'm really looking forward to.

_Chas_

The CPU speed wars are over. We won.
http://www.apple.com/powermac/