[P1] Battery Observations

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Sat Mar 1 20:38:10 PST 2003

> My 2 cents on Li-ion batteries. I know there is not supposed to be a
> memory effect, but I still run my batteries all the way down and then
> charge them all the way up.

I've done the same, out of habit (because there's so much conflicting
information on the subject), and I think I've gotten reasonably long
life from the battery that came with my Key Lime iBook, which is about
two-and-a half years old; these days, it holds a charge of about 90
minutes. (I suspect that some of this is due to an increase in disc
access in OS X, but I don't spent enough time booting from OS 9 these
days to make an accurate comparison.)

I'll have to find out how the battery that shipped with my Tangerine
iBook (which was passed along to my father-in-law) is fairing these
days. (I employed the same technique, but I doubt he's been as
compulsive about it as I was.) It's about three-and-a-half years old.

(By the way, anyone have a good source for the "clamshell" batteries? I
could certainly use a new one, and my father-in-law has to be about
due...)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net