[P1] iBook newbie...

Fran fran at dollingers.com
Tue Mar 4 09:10:40 PST 2003

Norman Milsner wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently subscribed to this list after being on several of the
>> other LEM lists because I went out and got myself an iBook
>> 600MHz/20/128/CD I've had this for about 3 weeks and have already had
>> to reinstall OS 10.2.4 three times and used the restore software to
>> reinstall OS 9.2.2. This machine seems to like to freeze up alot. One
>> of the reintalls of OS 10  was because it would not boot back into OS
>> 10 after using OS 9 for about a half an hour. I am thinking that I
>> should invest in more RAM but am waiting until I can afford to get
>> the 512 DIMM. In OS 10 is there a way to allocate more memory to a
>> particular program like in earlier OSs?
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Fran
>>

> Sorry to hear about your problems..
>
> There is no way to increase memory in OSX as it is automatic.  If you
> haven't done anything of importance (that you want to save), you might
> initialize the disk and  and reinstall your software, start with OS 9
> and then OS x.  I have the same computer and have had NO problems, we
> went to 385 mgs ram (added 256).
>
> Norm_M

Thanks Norm....I appreciate the quick reply. Thanks for the info about
the inability to increase program memory, that in itself was a big help
;-) Unfortunately, I had already moved most of my important stuff from
my PM7300/upgraded to G3 400 onto the iBook when I brought it home...so,
I've already lost most everything. Alot of it I can retrieve again from
the net so it's not too great a loss. BTW: can deleting portions of an
OS cause problems? I always download Netscape and then remove Internet
Explorer in order to get M$ free. Any idea why they put IE into the OS?

Fran