[P1] how to speed up more os X

david davidwb at spymac.com
Tue Mar 4 11:32:13 PST 2003

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 01:39  PM, Alain RAZAKARIVONY wrote:

> hi !
>
> I bought a new ibook 700Mhz one month ago. It works fine.
> But it was too slow so today I bought a 256 Ram.
>
> Now, is there any way to speed up more OS X (on windows you can setup
> start-up programs) ?
>
> And how to remove software ? (on windows you have uninstaller and
> add/remove programs) ?
>
> Can a remove os 9 ? (I have MAC os 10.2.4) because it takes too much
> disk space.
>
> I am a switcher , if any one can help me. ;-)

Windows has an uninstaller so that all references to the program can be
removed from the registry. One way that Windows breaks down and slows
down is due to a bloated/corrupt registry. The Mac has no registry so
that problem doesn’t exist.

Open up System Preferences-> login Items and take a look at what’s in
there. The more things your computer starts up at login, the longer it
takes for the computer to start up and become usable. (On the other
hand, one of the joys of owning an iBook is that it isn’t necessary to
do this often. Just put it to sleep when you are finished for the day.)
If you have lots of stuff set to start at login, are there any that you
really don’t need starting every time? If so, remove them from the
login window.

Can you remove OS 9? Yes but unless you are in dire need of hard drive
space, there is no reason to at the moment and some reason to keep it.
Unless you start Classic, OS 9 is just sitting there on the drive. It
takes no memory when not in use and steals no cycles from the machine.

Compared to my desktop G4, the iBook is noticeably slow to start up.
However, since that is something I do only once or twice a month, I
don’t let it bother me. In terms of the things I do everyday, the only
time I really notice how much faster my desktop is is when I am
programming in C or Java. Compile times are so much faster on the G4.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David