how to speed up more os X

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 14:40:54 PST 2003

> From: Alain RAZAKARIVONY <razakar2 at etu.unige.ch>
> Subject: [P1] how to speed up more os X
>
> I bought a new ibook 700Mhz one month ago. It works fine.
> But it was too slow so today I bought a 256 Ram.
>
> Now, is there any way to speed up more OS X (on windows you can setup
> start-up programs) ?

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell us here. You can set which
programs you'd like to start-up automatically on login in OS X as well,
but that has nothing to do with the speed of the machine. Personally, I
put the machine to sleep and wake it up, so start-up is always <1
second or so.

> And how to remove software ? (on windows you have uninstaller and
> add/remove programs) ?

Just drag the program folder to the trash. That's it. Welcome to
Macintosh.

(there might be a tiny (4-12K) preference file or something like that
left behind, but you can ignore it -- it will NOT affect anything else
once the main program is gone).

> Can a remove os 9 ? (I have MAC os 10.2.4) because it takes too much
> disk space.

You can if you really want to. Simply drag the OS 9 System Folder (it
is called "System Folder" and has a 9 on the outside of the folder --
don't trash other OTHER one called "System"!) and the Applications (Mac
OS 9) folder to the trash. Oh, and the Desktop (Mac OS 9) folder too.
Voila, done.

I don't recommend this, because a) there might be some classic-only
programs you find that you want to run for a while yet, and b) these
are probably taking up less than 2GB of your hard drive. Seems a small
price to pay for so much backward compatibility, but it's also true
that as a recent switcher you might not need that. Your call.

> I am a switcher , if any one can help me. ;-)

I hope that helps, and welcome to the community!

_Chas_

Atheist having orgasm: "Oh Random! Oh CHANCE!!"