ibook article in the NYT

Jonathan Fletcher jfletch at aye.net
Wed Mar 5 12:45:11 PST 2003

Good points all.

I just thought it was of value that the kids' grades were up and
discipline issues were down. GOTTA learn more in that kind of
environment. I'll bet if they had to use Dells or Gateways, there'd be
more juvenile delinquency (more likely suicides) in those communities.
I'd like to see a study on THAT!

;;-)

Brian Hodkin, the big difference here was that each student got to have
their OWN iBook "to have and to hold 'til high school do us part."
Maybe when they have to account for (and use daily) one assigned
full-time to them they take better care of it. Seems to be what is
going on, since someone was quoted in the article that such problems
have been few.

Computer labs in school always made me uneasy. Lots of vandalism and
then the kids fight over who gets to use the computers that aren't as
badly trashed. Happens a lot to desktops, too, not just iBook carts. I
have anecdotal evidence of it happening big time at both a public
school (my daughter's) and a private school (my wife's). Of course,
both institutions are PC ghettos, so that may have something to do with
it.

Maybe Maine's on to something.

j.

--