[P1] how to speed up more os X

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at attbi.com
Wed Mar 5 18:54:44 PST 2003

When I switched 3 years ago the most common mistake I made was trying
to add extra steps that weren't needed. Like why have the trash-can
metaphor if  you don't use it to throw away things you no longer need?
But that's the way it is with PC's. If the trash-can worked as it was
supposed to you wouldn't need an uninstaller. But after using a PC for
8 years I thought computers were 'supposed'  to be obtuse. On a Mac to
remove anything , file or complete program, simply drag it to the
trash-can. It's that easy. Your computer will continue to boot up, it
won't throw up error messages, and your other programs won't be
affected.  If you change your mind just drag it out of the trash- it's
reinstalled. When you are really certain you don't want it anymore,
empty the trash. What a revelation!
  Also I was always expecting I would have to install driver software to
get any peripheral to work. But some of that software is not as good as
what Apple provides.  Most everything will at least work by just
plugging it in. Zip drives, Wacom tablets, Cameras, and printers are
all things I have been able to just plug in and use. Sometimes the
manufactures software will add extra controls or tools but all of these
things at least worked straight away.
With OSX the best advice I can give you is to add as much ram as you
can afford. And be patient. Every update since it was released has sped
up the OS at least some.
Since under OSX each program runs in it's own "protected space" it
allows you to leave several programs open at once without any stability
problems. A problem with one program will not affect the others at all.
( Windows and the older mac os's claimed you could do this but I've
only seen it really work with OSX.) Most people have only 2 or 3
programs they regularly use every day, why not just leave them open? I
do this with Appleworks, Safari, and iTunes. For some reason OSX native
programs seem to be better made than any windows or os9 programs I have
used. The only programs I have ever had die on me under OSX were still
in beta.
        Have fun,
                Mike