[P1] iBook article in the NYT

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at attbi.com
Wed Mar 5 19:55:12 PST 2003

I know for a fact that my son ( 14 ) has learned a LOT more than I did
at his age. Not that I let on, though!
One of the issues is the incredible load of heavy  books the kids are
carrying. It is hoped that as subjects are switched to computer this
will lessen. This sounds trivial but it is not, I have to strain to
pick up my sons backpack and he never carries them all. I live near
Henrico county and the program has had mixed reviews in the local media
but all the kids and parents I have talked to like it. They are very
tight on what can be put on the iBooks, they are treated as very nice
tools, not toys. Some teachers don't like it, others love it, but most
seem to just accept them as yet another change to adapt to. I know that
some of the homework/projects my son has had would have been nearly
impossible to do in the timeframe allowed without the computer. My son
has had friends that had Playstations but no computer. Some people live
in a world where they never use a computer and don't understand why
their kids should need one, others just can't afford it.
            Mike