[P1] iBook article in the NYT

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at attbi.com
Wed Mar 5 21:10:13 PST 2003

The problem is that the book publishers are at least as paranoid ( if
not more so ) as the music industry is about pirating. They are both
sitting on cash cows and don't want to get with the new world. If
downloading bought music off the internet were; attractive, easy, and
reasonably cheap the bulk of the stealing would stop. ( Not all of it,
but the bulk ).  If the movie industry is happy to sell a movie on dvd
for $15 why do the music cd's cost $18?
When the eBook idea was tried about 2 or 3 years ago it died because
buying the books wasn't; attractive, easy, and cheap. Every brand of
eBook had it's own proprietary format and you could only buy the books
through them. It was all about locking up a market. Adobe had a
professor thrown in jail because he pointed out a way around their
eBook format security. Gee, that has a chilling affect don't you think.
He wasn't stealing anything, he just pointed out that it could be done
so don't lock up trade secrets with it.
  One iBook could easily hold all of a child's text books. And it could
be updated with current information yearly. In fact with 40 & 60 GB
hard-drives most of the research information could be held in each
machine. Each machine could carry a " virtual internet" . The fact that
it isn't being done is astounding.
          Mike