[P1] Archive and Install

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 8 06:22:47 PST 2003

>   Zeroing out your drive and doing a clean install is your best
> Archive and Install option, and it's easy (but time consuming).

Zeroing is only necessary if you are selling a drive or installing a
used drive.

> Then click Erase.  You have just zeroed
> out your HD.

No, you have erased the database of file names and locations. The drive
still contains all of the data but that will be overwritten at some
future time.

Zeroing a drive is when you select the option to overwrite the drive
with ones and zeros, hence zeroing a drive. That process will take a
long time with todays double digit gigabyte drives. It isn't necessary
if you keep your drive since every bit of data becomes inert when the
database of names and locations is erased or overwritten. There may be
an exception for a virus which only needs to be read but I have not
heard of any such virus.

****

The prime feature of such a clean install is to remove all old software
and corrupt files from your drive. There are shareware apps that no
longer work under Jaguar that will cause problems. I used Foxbase 2.1
through quite a number of system upgrades. I think I may have started
with 7.x and it worked well until System 9.x when it began to corrupt
its script files. They would be rewritten when closed and unusual
characters began to appear and I would have to open the files and
delete those characters. One of my favorite shareware apps also made
the journey and then died.

It has always been my policy to buy the new upgrade, say Jaguar, and do
an erase and clean install. I violated it with Jaguar and suffered the
consequences. Once I did the clean install, all of the problems I
encountered disappeared. Not everyone had these problems but that was
the solution.

---

Boycott French Kissing

jackrodgers at earthlink.net